This vegetarian pulled “Pork” sandwich uses canned jackfruit as the “pork” substitute. It’s a very bland fruit that takes on the flavors of whatever it is cooked with, in this case barbecue sauce. You can shred it with two forks similar to how you would shred pork. Add it to a bun and top it with coleslaw and you have a very tasty pulled “pork” sandwich. You won’t miss the meat!
Don’t be afraid of jackfruit, it’s very easy to work with. It softens up easily on the stove top. If you want, you can also use the Instant Pot to soften it up. You can set the Instant Pot for 5 minutes to help soften and cook it. After you take it out of the Instant Pot, shred it and then add it the skillet to cook it with the barbecue sauce. I prefer to just use the stove top because it’s one less pan to wash.
I like to serve this with pickles on the side, as well as some baked potato chips if I have the Points. It makes for a filling and tasty meal year-round!
Vegetarian Pulled "Pork" Sandwich
- 20 ounces jackfruit, canned
- 1/2 cup barbecue sauce I like Stubbs Spicy BBQ, but use what you like (and adjust points accordingly)
- 2 medium rolls I use Martin's Potato Rolls
- 1/2 cup hellmann's low fat mayonnaise
- 1-1/2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 packet Stevia or other sweetener of choice
- 1 tbsp vinegar I use white vinegar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 cup chopped cabbage I buy it prepackaged
- Drain jackfruit and press out as much water as possible.
- Spray a large skillet and place over medium heat. Add jackfruit to pan and cook for about 10-15 minutes, or until jackfruit is soft and pulls apart easily.
- Remove jackfruit from pan and shred with two forks. Return shredded jackfruit to pan and add in barbecue sauce. Stir to coat thoroughly. Allow to cook on medium for 2 to 3 minutes.NOTE: You can allow jackfruit and barbecue sauce to simmer on low for longer if you'd like. Keep covered and make sure heat is on low.While jackfruit is cooking, prepare the coleslaw
- In a small bowl, mix together the mayonnaise, lemon juice, stevia, vinegar, salt, and pepper. Mix until creamy.
- Pour shredded cabbage in medium sized bowl. Add coleslaw dressing to it and stir until cabbage it thoroughly covered with the dressing. Set aside.
- Once the jackfruit is thoroughly cooked, remove from heat.
- Place 1/2 of the jackfruit mixture on each of the rolls. Top each with half of the coleslaw mixture. Serve immediately.
- Freestyle - 8 Points
- Beyond the Scale/Smart Points - 8 Points
- Jackfruit - 0 Points
- Stubb's Original Barbecue Sauce - 2 Points per serving
- Coleslaw dressing - 2 Points per serving
- Martin's Potato Roll - 4 Points each
Looking for more recipe ideas? Check out the Recipe Collections which include a wide variety of recipes free for you to download. You can find all of the Recipe Collections here.