Kung Pao Tofu Zoodles are one of my favorite dinners. You can make it as spicy or mellow as you want by varying the amount of Sambal Oelek. You can eat this plain or over rice if you prefer. Either way it makes for a very filling and tasty meal!
Kung Pao Tofu Zoodles
- 12 ounces extra firm tofu, pressed
- 1 Tbsp low sodium soy sauce
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 Tbsp cornstarch
- 2 medium zucchini
- 1 medium red bell pepper
- 3 Tbsp low sodium soy sauce
- 2 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 2/3 Tbsp hoisin sauce
- 5 Tbsp water
- 1 Tbsp Sambal Oelek
- 4 tsp cornstarch
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 tsp ginger
- 2 medium scallions
- 2 Tbsp peanuts
- Preheat the oven to 400°. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Press tofu block to remove as much water as possible.
- To Bake Tofu: Slice tofu block into cubes, about 1 inch square, and add to medium sized bowl. Add 1 Tbsp soy sauce, 1 tsp olive oil, and 1 Tbsp cornstarch and stir until no dry spots of cornstarch can be seen on the tofu. Transfer tofu to baking sheet and bake for 25 minutes or until golden brown.
- While the tofu is baking, use spiralizer to make the zucchini noodles, or zoodles.
- Dice red bell pepper into bite sized pieces.
- Add soy sauce, balsamic, hoisin, water, red chili paste, sugar and cornstarch to a small bowl and stir until combined.
- Heat 1 tsp sesame oil over medium heat. Add garlic and ginger and cook until fragrant.
- Add the bell pepper and the sauce to the pan and stir. Allow mixture to come to a boil and thicken. Add zoodles to the pan and coat thoroughly with sauce. The zoodles will release water which will help to thicken the sauce even more. Stir for about 2 minutes.
- Remove tofu from oven and add directly to the pan. Mix thoroughly until tofu is incorporated into the mixture.
- Divide between two bowls. Top with diced scallions and 1 Tbsp chopped peanuts each.
Looking for more recipe ideas? Check out the Recipe Collections which include a wide variety of recipes free for you to download. You can find all of the Recipe Collections here.