This Beef Stroganoff recipe comes from my grandmother who was an amazing cook. This isn’t a complex recipe but it brings back childhood memories. The smell of Beef Stroganoff cooking in the crockpot always reminds me of my grandmother and yummy dinners. While she has been gone for awhile now, her memory lives on in her recipes. I’ve lightened this one up a bit to make it lower fat and healthier but the main components are still there. I hope you love it as much as I do!
The recipe as written is not vegetarian, however I do make a vegetarian version of this as well.
To make this recipe vegetarian, make the following substitutions:
- Substitute 24 ounces (2 packages) of Boca Crumbles for the 2 pounds of ground beef
- Substitute 1 tsp Better than Bouillon No Beef Base + 8 ounces of boiling water for the 1 cup beef base. I found the Better than Bouillon No Beef Base on Amazon. They have a variety of different flavors many of which you can find in your grocery store, however I couldn’t find the No Beef Base at any of my stores.
I love making this, having it for dinner, then taking individual servings to work for lunch during the week. I typically serve Beef Stroganoff over egg noodles. I’ll make an extra large batch of noodles the night we have the Stroganoff for dinner and save the rest in individual servings to take with lunch. Heat up both in the microwave and you have a quick hot lunch!
Grandma's Beef Stroganoff
Just like my grandma used to make...
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 2 small onions chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 12 ounces mushrooms
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 3 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 1/2 cups light sour cream
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1 tbsp flour
Brown beef in skillet.
Add onions, garlic and mushrooms.
Put in crock-pot with remaining ingredients and stir.
Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours.
Points Information per Serving:
- Freestyle - 8 SP per serving
- Beyond the Scale/Smart Points - 8 SP per serving
To make this recipe vegetarian, substitute 24 ounces Boca Crumbles for the ground beef and 1 tsp Better than Bouillon No Beef Base + 8 ounces boiling water for beef broth.
Points Information per Serving (Vegetarian):
- Freestyle - 6 SP per serving (Vegetarian)
- Beyond the Scale/Smart Points - 6 SP per serving (Vegetarian)
Looking for more recipe ideas? Check out the Recipe Collections which include a wide variety of recipes free for you to download. You can find all of the Recipe Collections here.